Saturday 15 December 2007

talkin’ ‘bout my generation



I feel bad for people of my age - and myself – we’re the generation that’s always been caught in between as the tides change.

When we were at school, we were still being taught in feet and inches, and metres and centimetres. As a consequence (and a lack of interest on my part) I don’t really have much of a clue what any of those lengths look like in reality. With that in mind, I like to think that I’m within reach of 5’6 without my heels….

Anyway, that was then and things have changed, right? We’re the generation that’s leading the country, doing the inventing and pushing the boundaries, right? um… no.

And here’s why…. I don’t like queuing to pay for my shopping. I hate being in a crowded store and fighting through crowds of people to get to my chosen product. and yet. And yet, I would rather do that than shop online for my Christmas presents, and that is because, unlike our younger siblings and offspring, we weren’t born with a laptop in one hand and a mobile phone attached to our ear. We may like to think that we’ve invented the internet and made it popular, but really, the way we’re using the internet and digital gadgets now will pale into insignificance compared to the way the new generation of annoyingly technically-literate children will use it to shape their world.

Think I’ll go and stand in a queue now and use the time to consider the irony of moaning about being too old for all this nonsense - in a blog….

No comments: